We are now accepting submission for our Flash Prose Contest.
2017 Nonfiction Contest: Borders and Boundaries
Deadline: September 1, 2016
LUMINA Vol. XVI: Borders and Boundaries
Deadline: September 15, 2016
LUMINA online Vol. 7
Deadline: October 15, 2016
We are looking for bold, beautiful, and new interpretations on ways we interface with borders and boundaries in our world. For instance: travel, immigration, maps, gender, sexuality, love, citizenship, race, the physical body, language, death, atmospheric layers, psychological barriers, prisons, fences, rules and relationships, and work that borders genres. Send us art and/or writing that brings us to the edge. Complete submission guidelines below.
Submissions to our journal are currently closed.
All submissions must include a three-sentence biographical statement. Do not include personal identifying information (check those headers and footers!) within your manuscript or your work will not be reviewed. All submissions are read blind.
We will not consider previously published work. We accept simultaneous submissions as long as we are notified immediately if the work is accepted elsewhere. Once we accept a piece, we assume it will appear in LUMINA. All work will also be considered for our online journal.
All rights revert back to the author upon publication.
Please specify in your cover letter whether you are submitting poetry, fiction, or nonfiction. If you fail to do so we will not review your work.
- Poets may submit up to three poems, 60 lines maximum per poem, not exceeding 750 words.
- Prose writers may submit up to two pieces: 5,000 words maximum per piece for the print journal and 2,000 words per piece for the online edition. Please submit multiple prose pieces in one document.
Please specify in your cover letter that you are submitting Multimedia. Submit audio, visual, and written work together.
- Writing 1000 words or fewer, please.
- Submit audio, visual, and written work together.
- You must hold the rights to everything you submit! DO NOT send us a copyrighted song with your short story. We cannot accept it.
Please specify in your cover letter that you are submitting visual art. We consider all art submissions for our print and digital issues. We accept black and white as well as color artwork.
- You may submit up to five pieces of artwork.
- Our print journal is 6 x 9, portrait orientation, and we do not rotate images to fit the page. While art of all shapes, orientations, and aspect ratios will be considered, we encourage you to bear our specifications in mind when submitting images.
- Image resolution should be 300 dpi or greater.
- We reserve the right to crop, edit, or otherwise modify art submissions to meet our printer’s specifications.
Prose and Poetry