LUMINA Vol. XVII is open to submissions now through November 5, 2017.
What is Resistance?
That is the question LUMINA Vol. XVII seeks to answer. This theme ranges from the personal to the political while inhabiting both our interior and exterior lives. Resistance can mean resisting political powers, social norms, destructive impulses, negative influences, the desire to give up, or something else. Tell us what resistance means to you.
Your submission must reflect the theme.
All submissions must include a three-sentence biographical statement. Do not include personal identifying information (check those headers and footers!) within your manuscript or your work will not be reviewed. All submissions are read blind.
We will not consider previously published work. We accept simultaneous submissions as long as we are notified immediately if the work is accepted elsewhere. Once we accept a piece, we assume it will appear in LUMINA. All work will also be considered for our online journal.
All rights revert back to the author upon publication.
Please specify in your cover letter whether you are submitting poetry, fiction, or nonfiction.
- Poets may submit up to three poems, 60 lines maximum per poem, not exceeding 750 words.
- Prose writers may submit up to two pieces: 5,000 words maximum per piece for the print journal and 2,000 words per piece for the online edition. Please submit multiple prose pieces in one document.
Please specify in your cover letter that you are submitting Multimedia. Submit audio, visual, and written work together.
- Writing 1000 words or fewer, please.
- Submit audio, visual, and written work together.
- You must hold the rights to everything you submit! DO NOT send us a copyrighted song with your short story. We cannot accept it.
Please specify in your cover letter that you are submitting visual art. We consider all art submissions for our print and digital issues. We accept black and white as well as color artwork.
- You may submit up to five pieces of artwork.
- Our print journal is 6 x 9, portrait orientation, and we do not rotate images to fit the page. While art of all shapes, orientations, and aspect ratios will be considered, we encourage you to bear our specifications in mind when submitting images.
- Image resolution should be 300 dpi or greater.
- We reserve the right to crop, edit, or otherwise modify art submissions to meet our printer’s specifications.
Prose and Poetry